The following list of resources document the accessibility compliance requirements for Georgia Tech websites. Links are also provided to tutorials for understanding those requirements.
In short, all Georgia Tech websites must follow the Official Section 508 Specifications as prescribed by federal law, but Georgia Tech and University System of Georgia policies may add additional requirements. As of January of 2018, Section 508 now specifies that the guidelines for accessibility compliance are effectively those outlined in the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). The current version of those guidelines is 2.0, and links to this specification and a guide to understanding it are provided below.
We also have an Accessibility Testing and Tools page, which provides a list of software applications and browser extensions that can aid in checking a website for accessibility compliance.
State and Institute Resources and Policies
- Georgia Tech's Accessibility Resources and Requirements
- Georgia Tech Information Technology Accessibility Policy
- University System of Georgia (USG) Accessibility Policy
- University System of Georgia (USG) Accessibility Tutorial
Official Section 508 Specifications
- Section 508 Official Government Website
- W3C's WCAG 2.0 Official Specification
- W3C's Guide to Understanding WCAG 2.0
General Accessibility Compliance Resources
- Web Accessibility Group for Higher Education (WAG) Accessibility Resources List (wonderfully-relevant presentation highlights and tool recommendations, including great tips on PDF and video accessibility)
- W3C's Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI): Introduction to Accessibility
- WebAIM Guide to Cognitive Disabilities and the Web
- IAAP (International Association of Accessibility Professionals) Educational Resources
- The A11Y Project - Web Accessibility Checklist